A Fond Farewell to Trey McIntyre Project

Posted On April 22, 2014 by Leslie Gordon
Categories News
Leslie Gordon, DirectorRialto Center for the Arts

Leslie Gordon, Director
Rialto Center for the Arts

Seven years ago I was participating in a Dance Presenters Forum at Jacob’s Pillow, the legendary dance festival in Beckett, Massachusetts, when I heard the music of bluegrass master Dr. Ralph Stanley coming out of a rehearsal studio. Since we have presented Dr. Stanley (with the Stanley Brothers) several times at the Rialto, I was extremely curious. I went to the space and saw rehearsal of a phenomenal group of dancers – it turned out to be the Trey McIntyre Project (TMP) and the piece was called “Go Out.” I saw the dance that evening and was so taken with the choreography and the dancers that I had to see it a second time. That summer, I connected with the company and was thrilled to learn that what had been a summer project for Trey was becoming a full-time company the following season–and then I did something I never do–I booked them on the spot. The Rialto was one of the first places to say YES to this exciting young company–AND we brought them back the following season too–AND then two years ago yet again. Several years ago they made headlines with their bold decision to move to Boise, Idaho – a place that embraced them like no other city ever could. But this year, after six successful years, Trey has decided to transition into new directions, although he will stay in Boise, focusing on film and photography. He will continue to choreograph, but won’t maintain a full company anymore. So, Saturday night, when TMP arrives on the Rialto stage, we will be witnessing one of their last performances as a company.

This is bittersweet. We have loved Trey’s work and he has shared some adventurous pieces with us over his visits. We have audience members who come back for every performance. This week, the company will be here in residence at Atlanta Ballet, with some open rehearsal time and a free conversation with the dancers on Friday afternoon at Atlanta Ballet’s Michael C. Carlos studio in midtown. There will be a free master class at Kennesaw State University at 2 PM on Friday, and Sue Schroeder will interview Caty Solace, Chief Strategy Officer, before the show on Saturday, at 7 PM. We are extremely proud that the Rialto has co-commissioned a new work, based on the artwork of Edward Gorey who had a fondness for ballet (If you watch Masterpiece Mystery, then you know Gorey’s work from the wonderful animations at the beginning and end); and Saturday night will showcase this new piece as well as “Half-Life of Mercury” set to the music of Freddie Mercury and Queen.

I invite you to come celebrate with us on our closing night of the season. We will cheer on Trey’s marvelous dancers, we’ll get to wish him fond farewell in person, and we’ll give you a sneak peek of next year’s line-up. So join us – discovery, excitement, laughter, and maybe tears – all the things that are the reasons we love Georgia State’s Rialto.

Leslie Gordon, Director
Rialto Center for the Arts

Find out more about the Trey McIntyre farewell performance…