A GSU Student goes Back to the Bayou for Rialto Week

Posted On April 9, 2012
Categories News

I walked up to the Rialto without having any idea what to expect from a night of Cajun music. My experience with Cajun culture was limited to Popeye’s commercials, which is like saying I have an understanding of Latino culture after eating Taco Bell. Feufollet captured my attention from the very start with their sheer enthusiasm and upbeat songs that kept my foot tapping. They played music that clearly pulsed through their veins and the sounds from the guitars and accordion flowed seamlessly with their French lyrics. My highlight for the evening was the dancing, or at least attempting to dance, in front of the stage. During intermission, I talked to the usher who had seated me, and he encouraged me to come down and dance when Cedric Watson began to play. I debated on whether or not I would really go dance, but Cedric’s music was far too infectious to pass up! I proceeded to thoroughly enjoy stumbling and tripping through an entire song.

The two acts served as a reminder that music is not simply for listening to.

Hearing the blend of traditional Cajun music with the new generations’ contributions proved that history carries itself on through music. Joys, sorrows and traditions can all passed be passed down through one music composition. As a psychology major, I am always fascinated at what pulls people together from different generations and cultures, and Cedric Watson and Feufollet demonstrated that music transcends generational boundaries and pulls in people from different backgrounds with themes of love, heartbreak and tradition. I deeply appreciate that Georgia State encourages students to broaden their scope of knowledge by interacting with different cultures and then actually provides the opportunities to do so!

– Amy Gregg, Class of 2014
Psychology / Religious Studies